Friday, September 3, 2010

Edumacation!!

I know that's not how you spell it... give me some credit. hehehe I spell education that way sometimes to illustrate how little of it I have from time to time. I am especially uneducated in the ways of relationships (hence the chronically single status of my life hahaha) but I'm trying. I've made more errors in judgment and choice than I care to talk about (but, isn't this blog about being honest?!?!), but then who hasn't?! Life is often learned best by trying to live it and then learning from the mistakes that you make. And while that's a good method for somethings or for many things for some of the time... sometimes, it gets old. And it's getting old, my friends, in the area of relationship development. Many of my friends have recommended books over the years and I tend to read them... many of them are fantastic and were wonderfully applicable in my early 20s when the world was a little sunnier and hopeful in this area. However, now that I am in my mid-30s and nearing the age of the spinster, I find that I need something a little more realistic, a little more honest, a WHOLE lot more applicable to this reality that I am living in. I don't want a book to tell me that the sun will come out tomorrow (and, yes, Annie fans, I am humming the tune now that I've written those words), or that the man of my dreams is just a thought away, or that there are multitudes of fish in the sea, or that I've never made a mistake, all the men have... I want a book or a person that will sit down with me in brutal honesty and tell it like it is. And I think I've found that book:

In this book, comedian Steve Harvey lays it all out. He tells us women where we've made mistakes (and I agree with all of them... I've made them for sure!!), he tells us the basics of the man's game plan and what they really need, and he empowers us to make better choices. I love it. If you are single... read it. If you are in a new relationship, read it. If you are in a long term relationship, read it. If you are married... READ IT! It's the kind of edumacation that we all need in order to better understand our partners' needs and wants. I know it's opened my eyes and given me the empowerment that I needed to make better choices in my future (my biggest issue after my break up with Kelvin and my subsequent whatever it was with Will is that I wasn't able to trust my choices and decisions... now I can. Steve Harvey has given me steps, questions, ideas and a game plan that help me heal that part of my soul).

5 comments:

  1. After writing this post, I got to thinking and revisiting those past two people in my life... wow... did I ever miss some HUGE signs that they were just looking for a miss-at-the-moment... ah well, I'm learning. I'm not looking for the next guy, I am looking for the last guy... thanks Steve Harvey for sharing your wisdom honestly, and thank you Jesus for getting me out of situations that would not have honoured me or You!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bunch of girls at work were passing this one around a couple of years ago - they loved it

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is very exciting!! i also still highly recommend So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore and Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge... both of these books should be read by ALL women, regardless of age or relationship status...

    i will be hunting for the Steve Harvey book as well... thanks for sharing lovely friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now I have three books to add to my "must read" list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea... it's a great book. There was another one called What Every Woman Should Know.... it was awesome too.

    ReplyDelete