Friday, January 18, 2013

Red Flag #9: Fake Anything



So this red flag is so pointed at my last serious boyfriend.  But in all fairness it points to a bigger issue and red flag overall.

When I was seeing the ex, there was a point where things almost bottomed out for us (see the second red flag).  There was a lot of fear and sadness on my part, and on his too I guess.  When we were getting it sorted, one of the things he asked me was to marry him.  He told me how much he loved me, told me that he couldn't and wouldn't picture his life without me in it, told me that I was the best thing that ever happened to him.  And then he told me that it wasn't a real proposal, but that he needed to know I'd say yes when the time came for the real one.  Said he couldn't face the thought of a denial, needed to know I was on the same page... blah, blah, blah (excuse my moment of bitterness here).  In my stupidity and love blindness, I shed tears and agreed wholeheartedly.  I was in love and knowing that he was in the same place and wanted a forever with me... well, it was all I wanted.  So I said yes, I felt secure that we were secure, but I'd been duped.

Sorry friends, but any time you are in a relationship and your significant other thinks it's okay to offer you a fake explanation, a fake orgasm, a fake proposal, then it's a red flag.  If you don't have honesty and trust in a relationship, all you are left with is manipulation and control and something is wrong with that.  I didn't see it at the time, I was too snowed under with what I thought I was hearing and what I wanted to hear (that's my fault).  I don't know how you keep yourself from getting snowed under like that but I hope that the next serious guy will have the integrity to mean it when he asks, to have a ring on hand to go with the adoration and tears in his eyes.  I deserve that, as do all other women (or men... whoever you are in love with deserves that).


No comments:

Post a Comment